Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Why I Run and the First Race That Started It All (part 1)

I started running in February of 2010. Running was just one way of fulfilling a New Year's resolution--that was to lose weight. I was getting fat. That was the time when I could no longer fit into my jeans and the buttons of my shirts on my belly would just pop open without me doing anything. Oh wait, they pop open whenever I exhale.


ah those chubby cheeks...
(Mojave Dessert, Jan' 2010)

So I decided to run or jog, whatever I called it back in the day. I work at The Fort and as we all know, the place is very conducive to outdoor activities like biking, skating, and of course, running. My first running place was Bonifacio High Street. At first I was intimidated by the fit and fast and sweaty bodies that I ran with. But at the same time, I was amazed at the energy and dedication of these people to commit to a healthy lifestyle. I found running very challenging. I started out as a couch potato and if they asked me what sport I play I would answer "Golp!". Then they'll quiz me if it should be golf. I would then demonstrate pretending to chugging a bottle of beer and making the sounds, 'golp golp golp." So what do you expect from a sedentary mid-20's with bulging tummy who plans to at least do some decent running? I was huffing and puffing a few minutes after I started treading the pavements and could not even complete a full circle of BHS. But it took a lot of patience and a lot of guts to stay on track. After a week, I signed up for my first race and there began my uhm, racing career.


Century Superbods Run Feb 2010


My first race was the Century Tuna Superbods Run by RunRio. I signed up for the 3k race. I was on my fourth week of running as of raceday. Again, I was intimidated by the more experienced runners around me and was anxious that I might be the last runner to finish. But the warrior in me prevailed and my first race was a good one. I place my bet on being competitive that I wanted to level up in terms of distance covered. By March of the same year, I did two 5k races, April two 10k races and by May, I finished my first half-marathon. By the time I claimed my first pikermi finishers' medal, the bulging belly has gone away and the unwanted poundages eliminated. In four months time, I've gone from 150 lbs to 130 lbs through running and a change of diet.


<<Click here for part 2 of this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment