Sunday, April 10, 2011

Race Review: Mayon 360 A 50 Mile Run for Climate





Name of Race: Mayon 360 A 50 Mile Run for Climate
Date of Race: April 2nd, 2011
Venue of Race: Albay Province, Philippines
Organizers: JCI Legazpi, etc.
Will I do this again?: Yes


Pros:






1. Route - Lovely route. The major come-on of this race was the chance to circumnavigate Mayon Volcano. It is the first race that promised to do that and it did deliver. The route was challenging with several uphills but equally rewarding with the lush countryside view it provided the runners.

2. Safety - I appreciated the fact that the army and police were involved in the event. I don't want to comment on anything bordering on political colors but a major event like this needed sufficient security and again, the organizers were able to deliver that.


3. Hydration/Aid stations - Evenly spaced out every 5 kilometer, I thought the stations were sufficient enough. Even if there were only few that served energy drinks, the abundance and diversity of food served complemented that scarcity. I also appreciated the concern of the group in the ambulance who looked out for me on the last couple of kilometers of the race. They made sure I was refreshed by pouring water on my head. 


4. Reg fee/Benefit Ratio (I want to name this return of investment ratio but that would be too technical) - I thought that the registration fee was reasonable. Aside from the singlet and race bib, we were provided with free dinner on the night of the race kit distribution, finishers' medal, finishers' shirt and free meal after the race. Oops, I almost forgot the relaxing post-race massage that was free for the finishers. This is the first time that I got more value than what I paid for in a race. 


Cons:






1. Communication gap: The thing is, if you say that a website is deemed official for an event, it should be the source of truth for all things about the event. Going back to the confusing venue of race kit distribution, I would have appreciated it more if the organizers were able to update the website regarding the change of venue or since not everybody would have easy access to internet, a text would have sufficed. Another gap that's worth mentioning is when there was no follow-up update after the organizers announced such race in January/February and only got the latest update this March. I thought this race would not push through as evidenced by the lag of updates. 80kms is not an easy distance to train for so at least giving the joiners a couple of months heads up would be appreciated. 


2. Marshalling gap: This is a minor flaw only. I think for one part of the route (not sure if this was in Sto. Domingo) where there was a diversion road, I almost took the wrong turn if not being called upon by a bystander. Or was he the marshall?


Wishlist


wishlist lang naman. :)




1. Cheerers/marching bands on select stations - While we were cheered on  by the people in the  aid stations, I think engaging some cheer-leading squads or marching bands will boost the spirit of the exhausted runners. I know this is too much to ask but I think this will make the race a more enjoyable one for the runners.


2. Free ride/Shuttle - I wish the organizers thought of providing shuttle services to runners coming from Manila even if it would mean adding a small amount to the reg fee.


Despite the cons, the race was well organized and the event a successful one. Kudos to the organizers. I'm giving it a rating of 4.5 out of 5. 




No comments:

Post a Comment