Friday, April 8, 2011

Bitoy's First Ultra: Mayon 360 A 50 Mile Run for Climate (4 of 4)

finally!



Crossing the Finish Line

In about a kilometer to the finish line, I've asked one marshall on bike if the finish line is far. He said I'm close and decided to bike beside me while I run. He did basically pace me. I thought the last couple of signs were misleading. The last mark I saw said I was only 250 meters away from the finish line. I took note of it but after my Garmin  already posted 250 meters of movement, the finish line was not yet there or even close. It was a good thing the marshall kept assuring me that it is already near. Some more baby steps and I am really close. A line of army friends lined up the path to the finish banner. Hearing the cheering of the small crowd was like, pardon the cliché, music to the ear. And finally, I crossed the finish! I was awarded my finishers' medal and certificate, posed for some pics and I thought I was floating on air for some few seconds. I am now an ULTRAMARATHONER!



still showing off my bling while getting a massage


I can sleep with this bling

After being congratulated by a bunch of people I was led to the massage tent where a free massage awaits us, finishers. I haven't had a body massage for quite some time now and getting it for free made it a better deal. It felt so good except for the cramps I felt when lifting a leg or when doing slight movements. A few other runners finished--some I met on the road--and chatted with them a bit. After I was done with the massage, I ate the free food given to us  and lingered in the event area a little bit more before buying a bag of ice and going back to the hotel.

As soon as I got back to the hotel I soaked my legs in a bucket of iced water and showered afterwards. I was so tired that after tidying up my things, I lay on my bed and was off to Dreamland in just a few.

Postscript:

I was planning to do some whale shark sighting in Donsol but as I was still feeling sore, I just stayed in bed almost all day and got up when it was time to leave for Manila.

No comments:

Post a Comment