Friday, April 8, 2011

Bitoy's First Ultra: Mayon 360 A 50 Mile Run for Climate (1 of 4)



I feel so grateful that two milestones of my running career took place in a couple of my favorite places. In December 2010, I finished my first full marathon in the Sin Capital of the world, Las Vegas. Just a few days ago (the 2nd of April to be exact), I upped the ante and survived the 80-km ultramarathon in Legazpi City circumnavigating what is dubbed by most as the world's most perfectly coned volcano, Mayon Volcano.

Preparation

I was training for what was supposed to be my first ultramarathon--TNF100 in Camarines Sur this coming May--when I got wind that the event was pushing through. I first heard of this event way back in February and thought this event would not materialize since I did not find any update after. Last March, I was going through pinoyfitness.com and saw the registration details. Finally! I was already in deep training for my ultramarathon in Camsur and I had to convince myself that I can still do another long distance race before this and incorporate it as part of my training. I even had to consult a more experienced runner-friend from travbuddy.com if doing both would not be dangerous considering I am still relatively new to running--14 months as of writing.

So, I said yes. I modified my training plan for TNF100. I registered a week before the event, secured my leave from work and prepared for another long (10-hour) bus ride.

For my training, I followed the training plan suggested in runnersworld.com. Coming fresh from another training from my first marathon this year (Condura Skyway Marathon), I skipped some weeks from the plan and jumped to the long long back-to-back weekend (ranging from 3-5 hours) runs. It was a big shift from my usual one long run a week routine but I was so intent in preparing well for the event. Despite the strict adherence I imposed myself to, I still tweaked my the plan a bit like removing the extra day of running and resting instead and when I feel I felt some pain on my knees a week before the event.

Some things got to give though. During the weeks of hardcore training, I sort of wished I get to see my family and friends back home in Pampanga or do something more fun than treading the semi-polluted streets of Bonifacio Global City or McKinley Hills. But I guess that's the trade-off.

Back to Bicol




I consider Bicol one of my favorite places to visit. There's just too much to do around here like whale shark sighting in Donsol, wakeboarding in Camsur, island hopping in Caramoan or plain seeing the splendor of Mayon Volcano. These make the 10-hour bus ride so worth it!

Normally, I would go around the places I visit the moment I arrive, but for this one I badly needed a shuteye. The inn where I was supposed to stay in (pun not intended) didn't have a vacant room yet. It was only 7 in the morning and check-in was at 2 pm. So, I checked the neighboring inn, rented a room, dumped my bag on the floor and was off to Dreamland in a few minutes.

Something's amiss

After waking up and checking in at the inn I had my room reservation at, I went to Pacific Mall for the race kit distribution and runners' orientation. It was scheduled at 5 pm as the website says. I was waiting with three other runners--all of whom eventually bagged the major prizes--when we were informed that the venue was changed to the provincial capitol. That was frustrating. A bit tired and already sleepy, I went with the other runners to the event venue.

Orientation

We waited for a bit before the orientation began. Somehow, the speakers were able to alleviate the frustration I was feeling since it was getting a bit late and I wanted to feel refreshed by tomorrow's race. I did appreciate the assurance given to us by the organizers (Sir Jovie aka BaldRunner, Yves Yu, etc) regarding the safety and the provisions like water, energy drinks and food for the event. There will be hydration/aid stations every five kilometers. The room was bursting with energy and excitement as the event that took 3 years to materialize is also a historical one. This will be the first race to cover the circumference of the Mayon Volcano. And to be a member of the first group of runners will be a great honor.


Time to shine for my short legs tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment