Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Conquering Sloth - 30 kms on a Public Holiday



My DM post Apr. 11, 2012

Totals
 It was national holiday today in Malaysia as a new king was installed. My office friends went go-karting. I begged off. Last weekend's adventure took a toll on my training and hence, I had to move my long run training today.


I was all set. Except that I slept late last night, everything should be fine I should say. I was out by quarter to five in the afternoon. My mind was all set to hit 30 kms. The initial plan was to leave the condo at 4 in the afternoon and do 10kms on the gym treadmill and do the rest on the road. I was not able to leave at 4 and had to adjust my training plan. I reached the gym at 5 and decided to hit the road instead.


I did an initial 5kms around the park doing 3 loops. Well, the sun was almost setting but it was undeniably hot. A group of teeners were doing some activities and hence the park seemed more alive than it usually is. After 5 kms and with that kind of weather, I was already tired and wanted to go home. And LAZY. I just felt so lazy to go on. 

I bought a bottle of 100 plus at the nearby mall and tried to walk off the laziness I was feeling. Walked some more until I felt the urge to run again. Ran again and then walked. Then I reached the uphill part of my route. This part, I will have to walk, if I want to reach my mileage goal. It was a 500m uphill and I walked it all. Then I ran the downhill, which is around the same length. Then, I made a turnaround and walked the uphill and ran the longer downhill this time. I ran-walk until I got to the highway then turned left to get to the park. I did this route one more time. 

By the time I returned to the park, I only had 22 kms logged. I only had one hour to finish and return to the gym to claim my stuffs. I am the kind of guy who takes my time and gets inspired by last minute panic. I love to cram. I relish on the different kind of adrenaline rush cramming brings. This is the reason why at work I always get into trouble. 

Fortunately, I finished after 4 hrs and 8 minutes and reached the gym 15 minutes before it closed. 

After shower and changing, dinner was McDonald's Quarter Pounder Meal and a cup of chocolate sundae. I am just not sure if it's enough to recover the 1,899 calories I burned but I went home still hungry and ate a couple of oranges and drank my protein drink. 

Happy Running Guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment