Tuesday, June 26, 2012

SCKLM 2012: My Last Hurrah in MY's Running Scene

After the race




I am a fan of the fleeting, of the ephemeral. After four hours and a half of pounding the pavements of Kuala Lumpur, my last race in Malaysia, my home for 9 months has come into conclusion.






And months ago, a 4:30 target was just a dream. A dream conceived in Penang in November and failed. Tried again in Bali, SG, Phuket and Perth but still failed. Perth was close with a 4:36 finish. But then, KL gave me a big suprise. I finished 4:28:55. I was expecting to fail with not enough sleep and my legs still sore from last week's Perth race. But the weather was perfect, the crowd (except for the last stretch of fun runners--no, I'm not elitist) persevered till the end and I guess, there is always some truism in what they say about saving the best for last. And the dream target is in the bag!


With Bryan Kho, crazy ultrarunner from Malaysia




I did away with my usual 6:1 run/walk ratio which I have been using for the last two years now. This suited me well when I do my ultras and when I clinched my sub-2 in a 21K race a year ago. It was in Phuket three weeks ago when I tried just walking after every hydration station. Did it in Perth again but I guess bad breakfast got the better part of me. And energy was out of the window.


Standard Chartered KL Marathon of June 24th 2012 finally provided me the avenue to prove something new. That despite the ambivalence of hitting 4:30 looms in the horizon, my spirit strengthened by my faith in the Lord Almighty led me to the finish line within my target time.


Maybe!




Malaysia. 9 Months. SCKLM 2012. New PB. Good times. Good times. Terima Kasih!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment