Thursday, May 5, 2011

TNF100 Camsur 2011: My First Trail Ultrawalkathon err, Ultramarathon (Part 2 of 2)


Me displaying my running Oscar
Running Oscar

We treaded upward to the next aid station. We sat down when we got there and asked for some water. Robert was already saying that he can’t go on anymore. And then in just a few minutes while I was busy changing the batteries of my headlamp, Robert just fainted. It was a good thing the marshalls were quick to respond and was able to revive him. He already told the marshall that he won’t go on. The next challenge was to get him down to the clearing for the ambulance to pick him up. He was tall at 6’4” and said he was 80 kilos. There were about ten people who took him down in a stretcher. I was just fervently praying that he gets help ASAP and nothing serious happened.


After being jolted out of what happened, another group of runners, one of them (Ed) I rode in the free bus provided by TNF going to Camsur were approaching the station. I went with them in traversing the dark forest of Mount Isarog. Sleep was catching up on us as we found ourselves power napping on almost every station that we reach. I was really getting slow aside from my sluggishness, the humongous blister on my left foot that I got when I inadvertently stepped on mud was bogging me down. We were like that for almost five hours or more until the sun was almost up and Ed and his group went ahead. And alone again, I rallied on with the help of a short bamboo pole I picked up to get back to CWC.

It was anticlimactic as I got back to CWC. I even thought it was stupid. The route called on for some more trail running around 5 kms more. I was already tired, hungry, sleepy, frustrated, disheartened, disenchanted, and all the negative feelings consumed my short frame. But even though at times I questioned the purpose of me doing this and felt that it was reduced to a chore that I had to accomplish, the small positive attitude I have left prevailed and I hobbled till I crossed the finish line.

Roch, my groupie displaying my bib number


I was happy to finally see the Finish Banner waiting patiently for me on a hot Sunday morning at around 8:30 of almost 28.5 hours since yesterday's gunstart. I was even happier to see my friend, Roch from TNF who rushed to the start/finish arc upon seeing me. After a few photo ops, it was over. I am back to the real world. The first thing I did was grab some breakfast. I only had bread the other day and the running snacks I brought with me. I was delighted to take in some real food.

After showering and changing to fresh clean clothes and packing my stuff, I joined the runners and Roch to watch the awarding ceremony and the buffet. I didn’t eat that much since I just had my post-race meal. I thought lunch was good but the kulitan I and Roch had with the people we shared table with was more than enough to take away all the exhaustion.


Kulit gang


Soon, it was time to go back to Manila. I was sleeping during the entire ride which taunted my seatmate to ask, “Knockout ka?”, And like a bullied kid with puppy eyes, I said I am. But it doesn’t’ matter. I know I have some mix feelings about this race like wishing I could have exerted more efforts but the most important thing is I didn’t back out and I rallied on till I cross the finish line.

***

While I still connect the word naivety with my first TNF 100, the motley spectrum of experiences I gained—first trail run, river crossing, meeting amiable runners, meeting apathetic runners, running in the rain, running in the dark, cheering kibitzers, heckling and annoying kibitzers, wonderful race route, amazing sceneries, sleeping on the pavement and most of all, another test of spirit I aced—is a lot better reward than the ceramic finishers’ token I got.

One more thing, I almost didn’t recognize my shoes after the race. But it’s all good.

Dirty but happy


***

Muchos gracias!!!

To Roch for granting my special requests and for being my sole cheerleader.
To Nap and Emil for letting me share a room with them and for the helpful tips.
To Ceazar, Edison and the other runners who let me pace with them.
To Robert who amazed me with his fighting spirit and for the pep talks along the way.


Click here for Part 1 of this article.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog man. Ultra Trail runs isnt my thing right now, that is really something. Had fun reading about your adventure there. Take care man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're welcome. thanks also! :)

    ReplyDelete