Friday, May 20, 2011

Running inside the Walled City: Intramuros Heritage Run 2011

before racestart

Who would pass up a chance to run inside the historical city of Intramuros?

I have been picky about the races I've been joining and opting to join the smaller events either back home in Pampanga or here in Manila. I also just discovered the joy of trail running so I might join some more trail races for the rest of the year. A couple of marathons and ultramarathons are also in the lineup.



I read about the Intramuros Heritage Run organized by Kaisa Para sa Kaunlaran Inc. on the 15th of May and got interested. I had no plan going home to Pampanga the weekend this was to happen so I gave it a go. Anyway, the main comeon of this race is its venue--Intramuros. As its teaser says, 'Run down the path where many once walked.' Imagine the likes of JP Rizal and other Filipino icons who walked down the erstwhile cobblestoned streets of Intramuros and among the Spanish-era structures in the area.


I almost didn't make it to the race. I was too tired the day before and though I woke up early enough at 3:30 am, I did the worst thing possible and slept again! It was good that I woke up after an hour and dressed up, packed my stuff and scurried my way to hail a cab and got to Intramuros in due time--without eating breakfast. If I had been unlucky, I would have been killed by my running buddy, Kuya Archie, who was waiting for me and his race kit which was with me.

runners by the start/finish arc

I arrived with a couple of hundreds of runners already by the starting line. I met Kuya Archie after a few. I could feel the energy and the enthusiasm of the runners around me. After a short while, the race started. The streets within Intramuros are narrow but were enough to accomodate the number of runners. There was one part of the route where the gate was closed hence, we had to use the smaller gate beside it (the one where people pass) to get through. The rest of the route I should say was a breeze. I wasn't planning to improve my PR as I wanted to treat it as a photorun. I had my camera out and was snapping pictures while running. I live in Makati and I don't think I'll get the chance to run in Intramuros again in the near future.

Manila Cathedral

Palacio Del Gobernador


Running on cobble-stoned street for a change!

The sights were a wonder to behold. Manila Cathedral. San Agustin Church. The walls. The baluartes. It was as if we traveled back in time and I was half wishing for the frailes to come out and scream some Spanish expletives at us for frolicking in their property.



Kuya Archie

I was pacing Kuya Archie hoping to help him bag his first sub-60 10k finish. But he broke away and let me go first after 6kms.


Race map
Intramuros is just small and we did two loops around it to complete 10 kms, err, 10.3 kms as my Garmin showed. I crossed the finish line, gave my bib number to the attending marshal, got my bottled water and granola bar and rested for a bit while waiting for Kuya Archie who arrived after a few minutes.

We lingered there for a bit musing over our loot bags with an abundant supply of Hawhaw candies and a pair of white Burlington sports socks and just looking around before we headed off to Chowking for breakfast and to change.

We rested there before doing a walking tour of Intramuros and using the free museum passes (Bahay Tsinoy, Casa Manila and Bagumbayan Light and Sound Show).

Race Recap:

Pros

1. Route - Amazing route. There was a Vigan run sometime ago which I didn't join and I think if runners want to feel how it is to run in a historical venue, Intramuros is a great alternative.

2. Benefit/Cost Ratio - The reg fee of P400 for 10kms is more than sulit as the race kit already comes with a singlet and the need I say more about the freebies? Aside from the museum passes I mentioned above, it also came with a free pass to Fort Santiago which we were not able to use and discounts and free items in Max's, Jollibee and Greenwich which again we didn't get to use.

3. Portalets - For the people who needed them, they were there.

4. Gimmicks like the trivia posts along the way and the free massage.

5. Safety was assured with the safety cones along P Burgos and Bonfacio Dr and readily available medical assistance c/o Manila Doctors

Cons:

1. Registration sites were not that well distributed. Or I am just being biased because I live in Makati and registering as far as Trinoma is a bit inconvenient for me.

2. Hydration - I wish the water was cold or they could have gotten some sponsors for sports drinks. It was hot that day and drinking a cold drink is a must to be able to refresh.

But all in all, I had fun in this event and would recomment the second outing if it comes.


The cutest runner!

Casa Manila Museum

Bahay Tsinoy

Bagumbayan Light and Sound Show


Thanks to Kuya Archie for joining in the fun!

4 comments:

  1. Hi I'm Clarissa from Kaisa. Can I just say, seeing this entry made me happy. Will surely share this to the organization. There is a registration site po sa Cutting Edge at greenbelt. We'll definitely improve our system if there will be going to be a next run. Thank you so much for putting this up. Thank you for supporting us like the other commenters at the site. :) Like I mentioned in the site, our organization wants to keep in touch with you, if you could send us your Name and Email address at teachermeah@aol.com to be the first few runners to be informed regarding the possible next run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clarissa, Thanks for dropping by. I appreciate it. You're welcome and it was a pleasure to be part of the event. I think it's good to have races that promote both tourism and running. Will send you an email on my details. Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great article of your Intramuros Heritage Run! and congrats for running here as well. i ran my nth 3K here and had fun! it was also a chance to meet up for first time with Yingski and Cecille, my new Pinoyfitness forum friends.
    after KAISA put out its ad for this run, GoldiLocks Anniv Run was already strong. both had May 15 as its event dates so me and some pals at the forum rallied for more runners to come and join this heritage run instead. since its historical and same time a chance to re-visit the Walls. a few wks later, the response became overwhelming and i guess the only concern here was the singlet distribution. but the rest were a-ok!
    at post-run i even won during the TRIVIA Contest and had a blast during the walking tour and visiting some museums for the first time there. i was a frequent goer to Intramuros during the WOW Philippines tourism campaign but ive never stepped foot inside Bahay Tsinoy and the Lights and Sounds. so it was a fun discovery!
    looking forward to a possible Part 2 and during my chance encounter with Charles of KAISA, we requested them to plan it early...
    thank you Tor for your very nice blog and im having fun reading your other post-run commentaries...
    what and where is your next run?

    Ms_Mars

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi ms_mars! thanks for dropping by! I really did enjoy the post race activities that came with the race reg fee. I haven't registered yet but i'm thinking of mizuno and men's health.

    how about you?

    ReplyDelete