Friday, July 8, 2011

Finishing The Valley Trail Challenge...Or Maybe Not

They made me eat their dust. hmp.

I wish I could have hanged on a little longer. I wish I didn't miss that final turn. But...oh well...


I was welcomed by a soft drizzle as I exited the gorgeous home of my colleague in Cabuyao, Laguna. Despite the excruciating pain she was feeling, she graciously hosted me so I won't have to worry about commuting in the wee hours of midnight from Makati to Nuvali, Laguna. It was an easier commute than I expected.  


And now, Nuvali. This sprawling landscape of trail and concrete has lately been a favorite venue for races. Nuvali offers fresh air and a break from the old, tried and tested running routes of Manila. Prior to this, I was a Nuvali virgin and was looking forward to break in to this new running haven.


Nuvali, Nuvali High




I got to the assembly area and with other runners I waited stoically. I don't have a running group and only know two people running this race--batchmates from TNF100 in Camsur. I got to see them later and soon, all of the 50K runners are ready to start.
with Arman TNF 100 batchmate
Runners waiting patiently in the clubhouse
Skinny and ready to rumble
Even with a map, I will definitely get lost...and I did!

We started around 15 minutes late than scheduled as the organizers were waiting for the sun to shine. And soon as it was the perfect time to sing "Here comes the sun", we scrambled like mice in a trail maze. 


First Half


Back when we were fresh and fully charged
It wasn't entirely trail...


I thought I was a bit careless when I was running fast at the early start of the race. There's a reason for that. I was trying to make up for some lost time I spent along with the others for getting lost in the earlier part of the race. Blame it on poor logistics. The lead pack eventually became the chase pack. There was a part of the trail where it was congested and I had to overtake some runners because the traffic was moving slow. Really, there is traffic in trails! 


They call this part New Zealand. Guess why.
I thought that wasn't practical on my part as I found myself struggling to overcome the wall by kilometer 17. I remember even praying the Lord's prayer to help me get through. I think it helped. Well, it was a struggle getting halfway to the race as it was humid that day and I was already feeling it that early on. I walked a lot as far as I could remember.


Welcome to your bonus miles...the way to the small creek
I remember passing through a small creek where we were welcomed by a sign welcoming us to our bonus miles. You see, the route wasn't 50 really. It was around 57kms plus. Soon, I got back to the clubhouse. I rested for a while and ate a half-can of Vienna sausages and a granola bar. I was planning to rest for some more but a 25K runner noticed me and asked if I'm already waving the white flag. I said no and not afraid for my pride to be tarnished, I hurried up and got back to the trail.


Second Half


Me trying to make it in the second half
Good thing my sleepy self did not fall into this
It was still hot but I carried on. I met Robert again from TNF and it was good to know that he is okay and is back running again. We chatted for a bit before I went ahead. I thought I'm ready to gain ground fully with the short rest. But as bad luck would have it, the heat of the sun was still unforgiving. I was already taking it easy but still I am not able to go full throttle. Soon, Robert caught up with me. And we walked the trail to perdition. Even when it already became cloudy. Even as twenty more runners zoomed past us and bruised my exasperated ego. I was dousing myself with cold water in every water station we passed by--which were strategically located every 5 km--to wake up my tired senses.

Serenity

Even cows need their separate peace

A light rain even blessed us with every drop bouncing gently on our barren skin. It was only when I learned that I only had 6 more kms to go that I decided to go and exhaust all energy that I left. I knew something was wrong. Where was that secret turn toward the small creek? I thought it was closer to the clubhouse. I even thought the organizers decided to drop the part of the route as it rained and the water level in the creek might have risen. Silly thoughts I know. But I set them aside when I saw the finish banner getting closer and closer. So I went full throttle and rallied on and finally made that sweet finish. The organizers' timer said I clocked in at 8:43. It was a sweet relief to finish more than an hour before the cutoff even if I was expecting to finish within 7 hours. 


Find me on the list. :)
Click here for part 2 of this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment