Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Running Barefoot in Africa

Happy feet running




I'm now on my third week in Luanda, Angola. With the limitations that are imposed on us, road running is out of the picture for now. Or so I thought.


Last weekend, my colleagues and I trooped to the nearest beach from Luanda downtown, Praia Ilha. I know there is a running track by the beach but I thought we were still going to this island beach everybody recommends to us, Mussulo Island, so I didn't bother bringing my running gears with me. 


Sunset in Ilha


The sand on the beach felt fine and the beach gives a wonderful and unobstructed view of the sunset. But it's not the cleanest. But going here was a welcome distraction.


In between bottles and cans of beer, we played football in the sand. I remember my cousin Jake who taught us how to play soccer when we first met him in the 90's. I never had so much fun since I came here. 


While my colleagues were catching their breaths and guzzling more beer, I decided to go for a run. Forget the running shoes. I was gonna run with my flipflops but I thought I'll move freely running barefoot. And so I did just that. I ran barefoot for the first time. I ran for the first time in Africa.


Long neck
I ignored the quizzical stares I was getting. Just running with a perfect view of the beach while the sun was setting among few other runners was more than enough to cure me of my homesickness. I did 5 loops totalling 5 kilometers of the running track pausing to take some pictures. I had a good workout and my feet hurt a bit, it was nothing compared to the euphoria of being back on track!





No comments:

Post a Comment