Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Running and Walking SG's Twilight Ultra Challenge 2012


...and no, no fanboy or fangirl ran as Edward or Bella, respectively.


1st loop (Photo by Running Kaki)
Purple haze began to spread across the languid sky. In a while, the sun will come up and illuminate the vast wilderness cloaked in darkness. Err; we were not in the wild. But we were wild about one thing--running or walking as many loops that we can. Never mind that some of us didn't have enough sleep. Never mind if some of us--especially me--didn't have enough training. Never mind if after this race, we will all be embodiment of pain. 


jittery me faking a smile
Six or so hours ago, I was in the event tent. All jittery as I haven't done any ultra for half a year now. My longest run to date after I left the Phils was 42kms in Penang in November. The longest since 2012 started? 21 kms? That's not even a quarter of my goal: 100kms. Now how am I supposed to tackle 100 kms?

2nd loop (Photo by Steven Leong)

Sheer will. Sheer patience. Sheer determination. Things were turning out as planned at 50 kms which I finished before 7 am. Then I changed clothes and had some breakfast. After that, I struggled. The sun was out. The place got more crowded. My 100km goal seems to be fleeting farther and farther away with every step I take. 
Yawning (Photo by Sidyz See)

I felt tired. Really tired. I was brisk walking. Never mind the other challengers who still have all the energy to run. But I just so want to finish 100 kms! That's all. After the 65th km mark, it's been decided. No more running. I will brisk-walk all the remaining 35 kms. 

The plan to have lunch was scrapped.  At 12 noon, I still have 25kms to go. The initial plan was to do the last 20kms in the last 4 hour stretch of the race.  So I brisk walked hoping to finish 25 kms in 4 hrs. That's like maintaining a walking pace of 9:30 per kilometers. It looks easy on print but in reality after tackling 75 kms it seems like a mountain that I cannot budge. Not that I've moved one before. 

Running in the Rain (Photo by Sidyz See) 

And then there was this rain. It rained cats and dogs. I remember it was half past one when the heavy downpour of rain showered us with all its might. It wasn't really a hot day so I didn't really need a relief from the sun. But the rain jolted my senses. I was a walking zombie before it touched ground. Now, I was awake and realized I had to run some of the distances ahead. The right side of my right foot (redundancy not intended) was already hurting. It was painful to run for a long time. My Garmin has shut down before noon so I had no way of knowing how much I've been running. But I assume I can only manage a 2-minute run and walk until the pain somehow alleviates and then go back running again. 

The rain stopped after awhile. And while running in the heavy rain didn't prove to be that much fun, I liked the fact that it kept the majority of the people lurking in the park away from our running path. We, the runners, had the track all by ourselves. When the rain quit pouring, came back the mob. 

With RD Ben Swee after the race

But the rain did make a comeback. And it couldn't have come at a perfect time. Just when I am about to beat the buzzer. I was on my last loop when Mr. Rain came storming through the door. No, it wasn't a storm. I guess what they say about being inspired by last minute panic is true. I was walking faster. And running faster until it hurts. Noticed only a few remaining conquerors on the track. The idea of finishing last crossed my mind. But I really didn't care. And on the last turnabout, there was nothing else in my mind but seeing the finish banner and clinching my first ultramarathon medal for this year. I beat the buzzer by 19 mins. clocking in at 15 hrs and 41 mins. and tackled 10 loops or a total of 100 kms. I couldn't ask for more. 

***
What Do You Think Of When You Run?

Gallivanting (Photo by Christopher Koh)

In between smiling or giving two-thumbs up to my fellow challengers I meet along the way, posing for some cameras, icing or spraying my legs, refueling, enjoying the scenery, eavesdropping on people's conversation, relishing the Tagalog chitchats of Filipinos picnicking, responding to Ben Swee's queries if I am still okay among others, I thought about numerous things. I stopped running with an ipod so I get to listen to my thoughts. I thought about my family and how I miss them a lot and how my nieces and my nephew grow up so fast I feel left behind. I thought of my friends and how I lost the chance to be part of special moments in their lives. I thought about my job and it's not one job that is easy to love but I think I am surviving--until when nobody knows. I thought about my fellow runners in the Philippines and how lucky they are with the great running events that are being held back home and about Team Intensity who treats ultramarathons like fun runs. I thought about Fleetwood Mac, Adele, Bruno Mars, and Coldplay among others, whose songs I sing in my head at rare moments during the race. I thought of ee cummings' poems--not even the rain, has such small hands.  I thought about random things so random that I forget I thought of them after a second or two. But one thought was constant, in that race it didn't matter where I come from, how much do I make, which religion do I practice, what mattered was I was there and I was giving it my all.  I surrendered it all. 

***
The Calm After The Storm

Officially mine!

It wasn't a storm just to be clear. But, the stormy range of emotions that went through me was overwhelming. I was a house of pain for some days and even now as of the time of writing. For what it's worth, the body might be screaming of pain but this feat boosted my morale. And it feels damn good. 

***
Thanks

Million thanks to my family, friends and colleagues for the well wishes. To Ben Swee, the rest of the organizers, the volunteers, the friendly co-challengers for making the tough challenge a lot more bearable. To my hosts in SG, Marco, et. al., for the kind hospitality. To the Big Man upstairs for letting me go all the way. 100 kms all for You!




Event: Twilight Ultra Challenge
Location: East Coast Park, Singapore
Date: March 11, 2012

5 comments: